Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Reverse Carolling- an extraordinary period of grace


We went reverse carolling 13th -14th December in Montalban, near the dumpsite and also in Tagaytay on 15th – 16th December with a group of seven Singapore volunteers. Here is what two of them have to say:

“This is my second time reverse carolling in three years and while the format was familiar, there were many new things that struck me this time around. For one, the Balikatan Ministry members amazed me with their sincerity and love in reaching out to their fellow brethren when we walked with them, laden with Christmas food hampers, in the outlying areas of Montalban to visit families living in places I would not term houses.
Many of the members are in “the same boat” as the families we visited, and yet, they were generous with their time (they took time off work which meant no income for two days) in reaching out to the fellow brothers and sisters.   
I was also affirmed by their strong faith and the leadership qualities they displayed in organising the reverse carolling endeavour in Montalban – from  doing the groundwork to select the “poorest of the poor” families to visits, to facilitating the visits, and leading the prayer sessions confidently.
Nothing bonds people more than a common purpose and the desire to bring God glory. It was heart-warming to be part of a group of people, most of whom I did not know and yet work so well together with them to help bring some cheer to the families that we visited.
 There is nothing pretty about poverty and while it is easy to slip into despair at the futility of our efforts, 400 Christmas food hampers being a drop in the vast ocean of economically disadvantaged families that surrounded us both in Montalban and Tagaytay, I know that what we did touched the hearts of at least 400 families and made a difference in their lives, and for that I am most grateful.

The Christmas party for the child street vendors was new as it was the first time ICPE has organized such an event and it was lovely to be able to spend time with the kids and get to know some of them as we played games with them and ate fried chicken and ice cream with them.
It was initially difficult to watch the group of children gathered outside the door who could not gain access to the party, for we could only host 25 children, but the kids inside would share whatever they received with those outside. And many of them packed food which they did not finish for their siblings at home. I was humbled to see the generosity of their actions for I could never match them in generosity, giving from the little that they received so easily.

So many thoughts and emotions crowd my mind from having experienced reverse carolling this December, but foremost is the gratitude I feel for having been able to be part of an extraordinary period of grace.
Most of all I am glad that I have been able to give back to them what is their right and due in some small way and I thank God for giving me this opportunity this Advent season.”

~Jackie Pau

No comments: