Tuesday, January 5, 2010

living my dreams as a volunteer

I’ve always wanted to do volunteer work but somehow I never found a suitable volunteer opportunity in Pakistan. Thus, I was very excited when the possibility arose to serve as a volunteer with the ICPE Mission in the Philippines. I encountered so many new things here.

One highlight was the Puso sa Puso Christmas party for 5000 street children on 5 December 2009, organized by the Salvatorian priests. Together with members of the ICPE Mission, I joined the group of 1000 volunteers and helped to chaperone the children throughout the party. I was amazed to be able to communicate with them even though I could not speak Tagalog. Most of all, I realized at the party, that I was finally living out my dream to volunteer. It was even more exciting to make new friends, especially with like-minded people who share the same passion to serve as volunteers. I thank God for this chance to live out my dream here!

Anica Ghouri, who hails from Pakistan, is currently serving with us as a volunteer since November.

No comments: