Friday, August 21, 2009

Running a mission centre

Contributed by: Jitka Svozilova


It is a big task and a big blessing at the same time. It is a big task because of the many responsibilities which needs to be carried and a big blessing because through that one can only grow in relationship with God.

It all started in 2004 when I was officially asked by one member of the Council to consider taking this role. Not being in Asia and not wanting to be a leader at that time, I made a step of faith and said ‘yes’ after a time of discernment, finding that this is the direction which God is leading me.

In 2005, I came to the Philippines and realized that I like this country. All because it is very challenging just to be here – to adapt to the climate, culture, pollution etc. therefore it is a great opportunity to grow. I was also attracted to the vision ‘Empowering the poor through God’s compassionate love in the heart of Asia” which God gave to us during that time. And that too, I find it very challenging.

When I started to lead the centre at the end of 2005, it was even more challenging than I ever imagined. This includes: Pioneering the work with the new vision, starting ministries, building up and caring for the community, leading the staff formation, fundraising and facing the many challenges of mantaining the building of our mission centre.

The last three and half years has been very challenging indeed but very enriching at the same time. I’m aware it has been possible only because of God’s abounding grace and all the members of the community who have been supportive, encouraging, took a lot of initiative and carried different responsibilities.

No comments: